Do you want to buy a rowing machine for your home? Rowing machines are great personal training equipment. But before heading to the store, you should check out these tips for buying a home rowing machine. Otherwise, you can go home with the second best machine for you.
What do you want to achieve with a rowing machine?
So you’ve decided that this will be a rowing machine. This is great because it will allow you to train your legs and upper body. What do you really want to achieve? Do you get a little exercise at night while watching TV? Getting ready for the outdoor season? Do you strengthen your upper body?
Depending on what you want to achieve, you need to find out what different models of rowing machines can offer you in terms of
- Pre-installed programs?
- Resistance range?
- Suitable for your size / weight?
- Additional features like heart rate monitor, iPod connectivity, downloadable updates, etc.?
How much space do you have?
Before you go out and buy a rowing machine online, make sure where you want to put it and how much you space actually have available. Can it stay there or does it need to be removed after training? Some rowing machines can be folded down to take up less space when not in use, and different models require very different amounts of space. So take a look at what might fit into your workout space.
What kind of resistance do you want?
There are several types of resistance mechanisms available for rowing machines. They all have different advantages and disadvantages, so it depends on your goals, etc., which one is the best for you. The following options are possible:
- Hydraulic resistance; smaller and cheaper than other models, rowing movements are not as smooth and precise
- Reluctance; very quiet operation, smooth movement and good fit, but they are very large and do not fold
- Wind; Resistance increases with pace, so great control over workout intensity, but it can be very loud and the long main corridor can make storage difficult.
- Waterproof; the sensation of resistance is closer to the real one and increases with the rhythm, but very heavy due to the water tank, quite noisy and not very portable.
How much do you need to spend?
Like any other personal fitness equipment, rowing machines come in a variety of prices. It can start from a few hundred dollars to two to three thousand. As always, you get what you pay for.
Once you’ve decided what you really need, check the prices (both online and offline) and don’t forget to take a look at the reconditioned rowing machine. Refurbished sports teams can offer excellent value for money.